Saturday, March 7, 2009

Fun things I've been reading this morning

Well, mostly I've been consuming various cups of coffee and reading The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan: An Enola Holmes Mystery, but also...
  • A lovely sketch of Shakespeare and Company (been there! But I feel left out now, because George didn't throw a book down onto my head...) by Jeanette Winterson. "We sell books for a living, but it's the books that are our life," says Sylvia Whitman. Hear, hear.

  • Not sure how I feel about it, but the Living Library idea is coming to Canada. I think it makes me nervous because it's oddly fetishistic. Also, are we really that bloody ignorant and sheltered that we need to formally "check out" a human being? If I want to learn about a certain subculture, I find a way to get into it: via books, culture, events, museums, etc. Oh well, whatever works, I guess.

  • My friend, author Chris Cheave, over-caffeinates himself in Seattle, and films a seagull trying to break into his hotel room. I think I'd be even more of a mess if I was on a book tour (I don't always travel well) so I sympathise. Also, he's just hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment