Thursday, March 11, 2010

Excuse me, I have to go to New York now...

"The oldest cultural institution in New York? Perhaps the Metropolitan Opera? Nope, 1880. The Metropolitan Museum? 1870. The New-York Historical Society? 1804. No, it appears to be an obscure little organization on East 79th Street called the New York Society Library, established in 1754."

Read it.

(I spent a few mins. just playing with the scrollbar on the photo - really cool. But that could be because it's late on a Thursday after teaching 2 hrs and working 8, and I'm work-stoned).

P.S. You know what else happened in 1754? Walpole coined the word "serendipity." The colonies in New England proposed a union. Thomas Bowdler, English physician (as in, bowdlerise), was born. You know, it was, like, a long time ago.

P.P.S. Can you tell I'm exhausted?

No comments:

Post a Comment