Friday, May 28, 2010

Felt Friday #5: Woof!

You know I had to even it out and do dogs. I am totally a cat person (except when it comes to retired racing greyhounds) but dogs may well make for a better storytime. Is it just me, or are there better songs about dogs?

The fluffy white dog is most popular. Also, you totally can't see, but the dogs have BELLS on their collars.

Somehow, these dogs are gravitationally challenged. I suspect it's their giant heads. So I affixed some velcro to them, which keeps them from toppling off the feltboard and confounds small children from stealing them.

Rob Reid tip: bring nylons or stockings to storytime. Check your shame at the door. Place stockings on your head. Sing, "Do your ears hang low?"

Dog books for all your storytime needs are here. Highly recommended, of course, is Bark, George; I also have a soft spot for Harry (at right), the dirty dog, and Angus (at left below).

Only read The Waiting dog to a mature audience, although it is hilarious and will charm your jaded 9-12 year olds with its gory rhymes.

Other songs and rhymes:

Five little puppies
Five little puppies playing in the sun. (hold up hands, fingers extended)
This one saw a rabbit, and he began to run. (bend down first finger)
This one saw a butterfly, and he began to race. (bend down second finger)
This one saw a cat, and he began to chase. (bend down third finger)
This one tried to catch his tail,
and he went round and round. (bend down fourth finger)
This one was so quiet, he never made a sound. (bend down thumb)

The ubiquitous B-I-N-G-O works here, too.

Don't forget the other verses of Do your ears hang low?:
Does your tongue hang down? Does it flop all around? (yeah, just try that one. If my hands are clean, I like to hold my tongue out for this entire verse and see how that goes. Always good for a laugh)
Does your nose hang low? Does it wiggle to and fro?
Continue as creativity allows....

OMG my life is complete. Bark, George is online:

No comments:

Post a Comment