Monday, June 14, 2010

Renovated Cumberland Branch

I was fortunate enough to benefit from Cumberland's closure during the past few months, in that the "library-less" Cumberland library staff were taken in by many other library branches. We welcomed Rebekah and Marthe at Rideau's Information desk, and they were wonderfully helpful and I miss them already.

That being said, I am thrilled that their library is now open, and looks so spectacular. Join me on a virtual tour...

The adult department reading area.

The computer lab (art, as at Rideau, from the city art vaults; this one is called "Smoke signals")


The archway to the Children's department (I love it!)

Early literacy stations, to promote the six pre-literacy skills.

Looking out to the garden.


I'm sad to say I never saw Cumberland pre-renos (hey! it's far!) but it does look lovely now, and I am told it is much more open and airy. Some of the computer terminals are on a curve, so not everything is on a straight line, which is very refreshingly different. Little internal windows between children's and teens also make the space feel more breathable.

Plus, you know, purple carpet tiles and door and window frames will always win me over.

Thanks to the two Cs for accompanying me on this trip!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I've been wanting to check out the renovations but as you say, it's far!

    ReplyDelete