Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Book Blogger Appreciation Week interview

Today is the day we all post our interviews, and so I am pleased to introduce below Rocio from the Ruidoso Public Library Blog. Ruidoso PL is located in New Mexico - I was curious about Rocio's comment about the weather below, and I can inform you that the avg. temperature there this week is 26C, and in the winter it can go down to -7C-ish. I'd still trade with you, Rocio!

I also discovered a new blog thanks to Rocio's recommendation below...

My interview by Rocio should be up on RPL's blog sometime today, as well - I'll post a link tomorrow.

Hey, Rocio - we are both runners!
________________________________________

How long has the Ruidoso Public Library been blogging?
I can’t remember the exact date, it was kind of a last minute decision. :) The RPL blog was born a year and two months ago.

How many staff members are involved in blogging? Tell me a bit about them…
Myself, I am the creator and I maintain the blog. I am 24 years old, I love reading and working out. I am currently going to school to be a lawyer and it's been such a long, scary ride.

How did you come up with your blog’s name?
Didn’t do much thinking, It’s The Ruidoso Public Library Blog – our Library’s name.

When RPL first started blogging, what did you do to promote your blog?
PR’s were and have been a big help, since our patrons aren’t very tech savvy. I followed a lot of “book” blogs and this definitely helped. Feed burner continues to help.

What has been the highlight of RPL’s blogging experience so far?
It will have to be how much our blog has grown and been visited. It’s nice to hear most of our patrons compliment you on it. Also, I am in the process of adding a Chat Widget and this will definitely take us to the next level I think.

What other web 2.0 initiatives are afoot at RPL? Do you tweet, podcast or do other cool things?
Like I mentioned in the previous answer, We will be adding a Chat Widget to both our main website and blog. Facebook is in the process as well.

What advice would you give libraries about to experiment with blogging?
It’s definitely time consuming!! But such a fun experience. I like to call it our Library Journal – we provide information about us and stuff that is going on at the Library. Like kids and adult programs, art displays and of course our policies.

What’s your RPL story? How long have you been involved in the blog, the library and the community?
I started as a School Librarian assistant in High School and did that for 2 years. Currently I am a certified Librarian - 3 years now. I am Circ Manager. I’ve been blogging for a few years now, since I have my personal blog.

Again, a personal question: When not reading or blogging, what else do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
I love running and working out! I am not married or have any kids so I travel as much as I can when I can.

When not curled up on the chair in the staffroom, where else do you do your reading?
I have a reading room at home that’s mainly where I do most of my reading. I also enjoy reading at the park by the lake during the summer that is. Winter here is ridiculously cold.

What are your favourite blogs?
I used to be the Teen Librarian and really enjoyed “Books and Literature for Teens.” It’s amazing to see teenagers encourage teenagers to read.

Last question! What book, that you think people north of the border might not know about, is popular at RPL right now?
Right now the hottest book here well more like a series I should say. “The girl with the dragon tattoo” series! About 40 people are on the hold list and it’s still growing.

2 comments: