Monday, October 4, 2010

The two Isabels

Hey, how come no one told me there were two Isabel Allendes? I had to look closely this morning at a picture in our paper captioned: "Chilean Senator Isabel Allende (L), Atacama Governor Ximena Matas (2nd L), mining minister Laurence Golborne (2nd R), and an unnamed executive of the company that built the mobile hospital for the 33 trapped miners, visit one of the hospital rooms at the San Jose mine in Copiapo, October 2, 2010."

To make it even more confusing, they are related, and recently appeared together at the mine.

In high school, I read almost all of Isabel Allende's writing. I recently helped a patron looking for introductions to magic realism, and I offered her The Stories of Eva Luna, which, if memory serves me, was my first Allende book, back in the mid-90s.

No comments:

Post a Comment