Friday, December 31, 2010

Top 10 of 2010

Well, this year was not the *most* eventful of my life (so far, that would be 2006, a year I would mostly like to wipe from my memory), nor was it a year for banishing ghosts of the past (2009, year of The Return To Ancestral Homelands For The First Time Since 1991) but it had its moments. The most wonderful Caroline convinced me to make this list for Facebook, and actually, I am so glad that I did, and so I am re-posting it here.

I am not really the type of person who is reflective on New Year's Eve, nor am I frankly the type of person to see the glass as half-full, but putting this list together made me appreciative of all the wonderful experiences I have been fortunate to have this year.

Below, a list of things that made 2010 truly memorable and amazing for me, in no particular order.

  1. Coming back to Rideau Branch in a new, supervisory role, and nurturing new partnerships in the community with groups serving marginalised populations, including the homeless.
  2. Running my first half-marathon.
  3. Discovering that a post on my blog was picked up by an Ottawa Citizen blogger (sorry, can't resist the linkage), and being mentioned in OttawaStart's Ottawa Blog Guide.
  4. Attending the Northern Exposure to Leadership Institute. A truly transformative experience which taught me a great deal about myself, and has blessed me with an entire network of remarkable librarians.
  5. Celebrating turning 30 twice: once with good friends over dinner at one of my favourite restaurants, and again with my rezlings in Niagara on the lake, the first of (hopefully) many rezling vacations!
  6. Going to the beach for the first time in my life (don't mock!)
  7. Speaking to a packed room of enthusiastic library technicians at the OALT conference in Hamilton, Ontario, capping off a round of speaking engagements about online RA tools (OLA and CLA talks were in 2009). Now, for the next chapter...
  8. Being present for milestones in the lives of people I love: Meeting the first rezling offspring (miraculous) and attending my high school best friend's wedding (moving).
  9. Starting the Digestive Librarians' Digest with Lora and Laura, blessing me with another (overlapping!) network of remarkable librarians ... who love to eat!
  10. Bearing witness to magnificent works of art: hearing Kathleen Battle at the NAC, and watching Richard III at Hart House Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment