Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Exploring other roles

So, yes, in the midst of change, there is, um, more change.

It's spring, thank goodness! I only have four more weeks of class (and am beginning to realise how much I will miss this crop of kids)! I am able to run a little without crying over my kneecap! There's light at the end of the tunnel!

.... and I will be exploring new roles (temporarily) at the Ottawa Public Library!

OK, I am going to stop with the exclamation points now.

Starting at the end of this week, I will be acting as Coordinator of Diversity and Accessibility Services for the next few months. This centralised service department includes adult literacy, services to new Canadians, disabled and homebound patrons, and the bookmobile.

This position will take me away from Rideau Branch for the next little while, temporarily. I am conflicted in many ways about leaving a community I have so enjoyed serving, but I know I will return, and I also know that some of the programs I have initiated in my time there will continue to thrive without me, thanks to the rest of the wonderful team there. I am also excited to try a new challenge, see some library services and programs with fresh eyes, and contribute to my library in a different way.

So, can you smell spring in the air? I can!

8 comments:

  1. Will you be allowed to drive the bookmobile?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to you! Sounds like a great portfolio - and great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get to ride the Bookmobile on Monday! (but there is a driver...which is probably god. Yu don't want to drive with me).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great news -- about your knee AND the new position.

    Someone at my work got a new position today -- I had to ask her if I should be congratulating her, which either says something about communication problems at work, or communication problems chez carrie..... anyway, I gave her a high-five and then spent the walk to the bus stop wondering if it's completely inappropriate to high-five a colleague (or demand a high-five, really) (see also: communication problems chez carrie)

    So -- a high five to you, Alex. I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like high fives better than hugs so I totally accept your high five! I think it's the perfect mix of celebrstion and requisite personal space!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations! sounds like a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete